THE WESLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY was formed in 1893 ‘to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism’.
At present there are a number of local branches covering the greater part of the British Isles which seek to gather together people who wish to stimulate interest in Methodist history and its traditions in a particular area.
The Cumbria Branch was formed in 1976 with the aim of maintaining an interest in the life and work of John and Charles Wesley, in Methodist history in general, in its chapels and their architecture placed within the broader patterns of English history with particular reference to Cumbria.
Each year in the Autumn, prior to the Annual General Meeting, a lecture is delivered and occasional meetings are sometimes held in different venues in the county.
An outing is arranged each year in late Spring or early Summer. Non members are welcome to join in our activities.
A Journal is published twice a year which contains articles, brief notes of significant events relating to chapels, branch activities, etc. Members receive this magazine free of charge.
The Branch Archivist holds a small collection of books and artefacts.
Further information about the branch and its activities can be obtained from the Secretary or other branch officers. Membership is open to all.
The current subscription is per annum, due in September of each year, or for two people in the same household.